Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the questions that customers ask most often.
If the question or answer you looking for is not listed please ASK US!

How do I order title?

You can either use our online order placement system (see Order Title page) or send an email request to [email protected] and include as many of the details related to the transaction as possible.
For example: transaction type, buyer/borrower’s full names and contact information, seller full names and contact information, full property address, loan amount, lender name and contact information, purchase price, and any other parties to the transaction like attorneys or realtors.

Where can I send a tract search request, and what information do I need?

Please send the property address you need searched, the name of the expected current owners, and the loan number (or other tracking number) associated with your request to [email protected] or submit the order online Here

How do I schedule a closing?

To schedule a closing please email [email protected] We will need the file number, closing location, closing date and time, contact information for the borrower and who will be available during the closing if there are any problems and its closing before/after hours.
To schedule a closing please email [email protected] We will need the file number, closing location, closing date and time. In addition we need to know the contact information for all attorney’s involved and lender information if applicable.

Do the borrowers have to go to a Ravenswood Title office to sign the loan documents?

No, we can send a mobile notary to their home, office, local coffee shop or any other reasonable location at no additional charge. The borrowers are also welcome to come to our office in downtown Chicago for their closing if they prefer but mobile notaries are available across the country at no additional charge.

Where can I email loan packages to?
Can another name simply be added to the title vesting since they will be a borrower on the mortgage?

No. The only way to add or remove a name from the title vesting is with a deed. If one needs to be prepared please contact the title department at [email protected]

Can you waive this lien (mortgage exception) since it is not on the credit report?

No. The failure of a credit report to show a lien does not mean that the lien no longer affects the property in question. A release/discharge of mortgage, or a copy of a subsequently issued title insurance policy is required in order for the lien to be removed.

Why is there an old mortgage/deed of trust lien on title that should have been paid off?

If an old lien is paid off, but the lender or the owner fails to record a release of said lien, it will still be reflected on a title report. The Illinois statute of limitations on a mortgage lien is either 30 or 50 years depending on the circumstances, so an “old mortgage” that is 15 years old is not really old at all (most states have similar statutes and time frames). In order to remove liens from prior owners, we will need a HUD or Owner’s Policy from the purchase to review. In order to remove liens from the current owner, we will need a HUD or Loan Policy or other substantial evidence.

Can you please change title vesting to read <name>?

Not immediately. We can only add or remove names to the vesting with a deed (deed request form is available on the resources page). If the customer does not want to have a deed as part of the transaction then we can add “also/known/as” language to the vesting if an ID, marriage license, or credit report showing the name as an alias can be provided.

Can I have an AKA (Also/Known/As) added to the vesting?

This varies by state but in many cases yes. A driver’s license, government issued ID or a marriage certificate showing the married name is required to be submitted first.

What is the limit for personal checks?

Personal check limits for most states are up to $5,000.00. In some states the limit is $1,500.00 for personal checks. Please ask our closing department for confirmation before writing a personal check. For non-investment property we can accept Certified or Cashier’s checks up to $49,999.99. For investment properties, all funds must be wired if we are sending out the payoff on the same day. All amounts over $50,000.00 must be wired.

Do you allow weekend closings?

We can accommodate closings on Saturdays but we are closed on Sundays.

What time do closings usually take place?

Typically 8:00am to 8:00pm but we can accommodate earlier or later as needed. Please contact our Scheduling team for specific requests.

What is a Closing Protection Letter?

A Closing Protection Letter (CPL), also known as a Closing Service Letter, is an indemnity given to a lender from a title insurance company, agreeing to be responsible if the closing agent does not follow the lender’s instructions or misappropriates the loan proceeds.

Can you accommodate closings in two different locations?

Yes we can, however additional mobile notary fees may apply. We need to know the location and time for each closing. If the closings happen on different days please keep in mind this will affect the rescission date on owner occupied refinances.

Can the borrower's proceeds be wired? Is there an additional charge?

Yes, the proceeds can be wired. The borrowers will need to sign a wire authorization form at the closing. For refinance transactions there is no additional charge. Purchase transactions an additional charge may apply.

What is the difference between Ravenswood Title and an underwriter?

An underwriter is an entity that authorizes and issues authority for its agents to write title insurance policies.  The underwriter assumes financial risk and actually insures the property. Ravenswood Title is a title agency.  As an agency we are authorized by our underwriters to issue title policies on their behalf and prepare documents for the transactions that the policies insure.

Does my spouse need to be at my refinance closing?

This varies by state. Please contact our scheduling department to verify prior to the closing.